Ever since I was a little girl I’ve been a bookworm. In the summers the highlight of my day would be walking to the nearest public library with sisters and brother. I’d check out as many books as I could carry, would devour them in just a few days, and eagerly returned to get the next batch. I joke that my library card was my first passport because it took me around the world decades before I ever actually left the country.
I couldn’t even imagine back then how reading would transform my life.
I’m a big believer that successful people leave clues and they can usually be found in books. I now read about 100 books a year but over the past few months I’ve gotten quite a few requests about what I’ve been reading that helps to keep me inspired, so here are 11 books to help you live in your light*:
12) The 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris: This was one of the first books that completely transformed the way I thought about having a business. It introduced me to concepts such as no longer trading time for money, passive income, and how to monetize information products (aka taking information that I’ve learned and sharing it with others in the form of courses and coaching).
11) Success Principles by Jack Canfield: Jack Canfield is considered one of the godfathers of personal development (he’s the author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul franchise) and this book is one of my new favorites. It reminds you that successful people show up in their lives differently and when you do, it changes everything.
10) The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks: As you begin to live in your light and play bigger in your life, you’ll start to experience a whole new set of challenges including an “upper limit problem”. Hendricks shares how we reach a sort of success ceiling and how that upper limit can keep us stuck. If you feel like you’ve maxed out at a certain point in your life be sure to check this out.
9) The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins: Consider yourself forewarned: after reading this book I was taking action in nearly every area of my life. As a recovering overthinker, it’s premise is that we usually talk ourselves out of opportunities before anyone else does. By counting backward (i.e. 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – ) and taking action on the “1” we force ourselves into action without overthinking it. Trust me, you’ll start seeing immediate changes in your life if you apply this.
8) Playing Big by Tara Moher: I discovered this book right as I was moving abroad and it was a gamechanger. It gave me all kinds of powerful resources to get clear about how I can play even bigger in the world and become the best version of myself. Doing one of the exercises is what helped me make the decision to finally loc my hair. It encouraged me to visit my future self and when I sat down with her she had beautiful long locs which meant that I needed to hurry up and get them started.
7) You Are A Badass by Jin Sincero: Reading “You Are A Badass” feels like having the voice of your BFF in your head as you read it. Not only does it provide some practical tips for living in your light, but she’s funny as heck so you might even find yourself laughing out loud throughout.
6) Oversubscribed by Daniel Priestly: This has become one of my most recommended books, especially for anyone who has a business. Think about the hair stylist who is booked 6 months in advance of the concert tickets that sell out in minutes. These folks are all “oversubscribed”. After just a few weeks of implementing the strategies in this book, I’ve been able to increase both my impact and my prices.
5) Crossroads of Should And Must by Elle Luna: Whenever I’m feeling stuck (which is usually about every 6 months) I break out this book. It’s such a beautiful reminder that when we do the things that we MUST do, rather than the things we THINK we should do, we create magic. It has beautiful illustrations so do yourself a favor and order this one as a hardcopy rather than a Kindle download. You’ll thank me later.
4) Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown: I used to run away from anything Brene Brown was talking about. I had no desire to be vulnerable and I thought that would serve me just fine – until it didn’t. Being more vulnerable (and shedding the armor of perfectionism and other destructive patterns) has literally transformed my life AND my business. I’m even giving myself more grace in the process and am attracting everything that I used to think I had to work so hard for.
3) Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find and Keep Love: A friend shared this with me last year (heyyy Celina!) and it’s been hands down one of the most important books that I’ve ever read. It helped me to discover how I show up in relationships, why I’ve been attracting the wrong partners, and how to change the way I think about compatibility (it forces you to go beyond whether someone is just attractive or smart but do they have the capacity to give you what you need). Fun fact: the night I met my partner I was making small talk and asked him about the last book he read. When he said “Attached” I knew he was a keeper.
2) Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself by Melodie Beattie: This is a book that will help you get your whole ass life together. It forced me to examine the co-dependent relationships in my life but most importantly, it helped me discover WHY I was doing certain things. When I think about one of the most powerful books I’ve read in the past year this was absolutely it. I’m still a work in process and am unlearning soooo much from my childhood but if you’re ready to do the hard work of truly living in your light and letting go of habits that no longer serve you, this will change your life.
1) Light Is The New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Soul’s Calling and Working Your Light: I can’t believe I almost left this one off the list! My friend Nadia shared this book with me last year and it felt like it was written specifically for me. Not only have I re-read this several times, but I own several copies of it and it was the inspiration for the Live In Your Light Bootcamp. If you’re struggling to live in your light this is a must read and you’ll finish it feeling empowered to play bigger than you ever imagined.
P.S. The application for the next cohort of the Live In Your Light Bootcamp closes this Friday, June 14th at midnight. If you’re ready to get the clarity to:
– Discover what truly lights you up so you can do the work you love every single day (and ACTUALLY get paid what you’re worth)
– How to break destructive patterns and limiting beliefs that are keeping you safe, stuck, and broke
– And how to show up in your life and career as not just your best self, but as your most authentic self so you can attract everything that is waiting for you
P.S.S. *Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. This post was also updated to include “Light Is The New Black”.